Sunday, June 28, 2009

Realizations


My wife is a brand new nursing graduate and she opened my eyes to something. That I never thought about. There's a good reason Med techs think nurses are stupid. We only talk to the dumb one's that don't know there shit. They're the only one's that call down with stupid ass issues that make me want to shake my head in disgust, and hope I never become a patient.

She also said there's a reason Nurses think Med tech's are stupid. In most large labs like mine, We have people that answer our phones that are aren't certified to do anything. They're glorified secretaries that log specimen's in and then send them to the appropriate areas. When a nurse calls she get's that person, that doesn't really know anything, but tries to help regardless. So the nurse is almost always talking to the uneducated people in the lab, and assumes that person is a medical technologist as well.

How could I have been so dense as to not realize all this before. Maybe now I can take it a little easy on the nurses that I know probably do a good job, like Nurse K. I think her last post was especially poignant. Don't be a lazy slackass that assumes shit if fucked up because that's the way it has to be. I don't imagine I'm getting phone calls from nurses like her.

No comments: