I haven't really had anything blog-worthy happen lately so I have a list of a few things I just want to get off my chest.
1. I really, really hate having to call positive blood cultures to Docs at 3 AM. Really, I don't like to call anytime but 3 am just sucks.
This happened awhile ago but I just remembered it while I was typing how much I hate calling blood cultures We have a set of Dr.'s at my hospital that are married, one is a surgeon the other is a hospitalist, I think. I had just started at the hospital and was working a second shift in micro. I didn't know that these two doctors were married, and I didn't even realize there were two of them; they had pretty unique Indian names. I had to call a positive blood culture at about five in the evening, so I called the operator and had DR. unique name paged (still not knowing there were multiple Docs.)I get a phone call back shortly and immediately the female doc starts reaming for calling her on a Saturday during her time off for a patient that wasn't even hers. How could I possibly make such an egregious error? I swear to you I spent 10 minutes listening to her bitch. Finally, at the end of it she said you probably want to talk to my husband, here. Her husband took the phone and was surprisingly nice. I was on the phone for about 15 seconds and we were done. How hard would it have been just to hand the fucking phone to your husband in the first place?
2. To my wife; if you're too sick to clean up after our son while I'm sleeping, then you're too sick to play on Facebook. Grow up. I fuck HATE Facebook! If I could ground my wife from it I would. I can't count how many times I've woken up and there she is sitting on the couch while my son has a full diaper and crap all over him and the house is a mess while she's on the computer chatting on Facebook. Facebook, I hope you die!
3. To my boss; Do you're own damned job. Before I took the job I'm in now, I took an entry level position and amounted to me wasting my degree but it was a foot in the door after some hard times. Anyway, because I know this job, I get screwed any time our specimen processer decides not to show up. Recently, we hired a new girl and she can't seem to make it to work. Because of the fact it's impossible to fill that job, she may have to kill someone to get fired. Anyway, my boss grew a pair and put her on probation and gave her a list of things she needed to improve upon if she wanted to keep her job. My boss approached me and said I really needed to take time and try to help the new girl. I needed to not only do my job, but retrain someone else at the same time. Ummmm, no. Do your fucking job and make sure people are trained correctly. I refuse to make my life harder simply to make yours easier. I'm the shortest tenured person on my shift but somehow I'm already the go-to-guy. I don't think I'm alright with that.
I saw a couple of funny quotes posted lately and I wish I could give credit but I don't remember where I read them.
1. "You can't cure crazy or stupid".... so true
2. A positive attitude may not solve all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worthwhile".