Monday, September 24, 2007

I'm no better

I finally have to admit that I'm no better than my co-workers, the people I complain about day in and day out. I wish you understood how hard that was to write. I've seriously contemplated not writing this, as there are a few people that I work with that read my blog.

I was in a hurry about a week ago processing specimins, not being as careful as I know I need to be. One of my co-workers put about ten specimin in my area so that I could process them to be sent off. Nine of them were for a little boy with the last name of Jones. The other was for a little boy named James. Alot of tests have the same specimin requriments so I was hastily pouring off serum and plasma into the appropriate tubes to be sent off when I realized that I had the requisitions and blood for two different patients

I'd like to say for sure that I know I sent the right blood with the right patient. But I don't know for sure. The appropriate course of action in the case would have been to fess up and deal with the Dr. or nurse after telling him I may have screwed up. Instead I said nothing. I don't know why. This is probably the only time in my life I've not done the ethical thing.

My best hope now is that both of these specimin either come up positive or negative, preferrably negative. If one is pos and the other is neg I'll probably have to come clean and lose my job. I don't think I could live with myself if a little boy was misdiagnosed because of something I did. What if the little boy with celiac disease goes untreated becuase I screwed up. What if the other has to take unneccesary medication because of me. Please oh please let both results be negative

No comments: